User Review( votes)
Foul Mudammas (pronounced fool) the middle eastern version of refried beans, is actually my girlfriend’s favourite breakfast so I’ve been making it quite often lately.
The variations of this are countless depending on region. Made from fava beans cooked with onion, garlic, chilies, cumin and tomatoes then mashed, topped with olive oil and served with pitta bead, this dish is usually had for breakfast but is great for any meal.
Recently, however, I’ve adapted my recipe slightly, instead of cooking the vegetables with the fava beans, I’ve turned it into a salsa. Whats great about doing it this way is you get to keep all the freshness of the ingredients which adds great contrast both in texture and flavour to the fava beans.
Delicious Middle Easter refried beans, perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time5 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time15 min
- 1 can roasted fava beans
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 7-8 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 1 garlic minced
- 1 small chilli finely sliced
- Small handful of parsley finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Toasted pitta bread to serve
- Empty the contents of the can of fava beans into a small pot, add the cumin and place over a medium heat. Cook until the beans are soft then mash using either a masher or a fork
- While the beans are cooking combine the ingredients of the salsa
- To serve plate the mashed beans and top with salsa and serve with some toasted pitta bread