User Review( votes)
Just those three words, banana Nutella cake makes me drool, even without ever seeing or smelling it.
There are hundreds of recipes out there for this cake but for me, it all started about 25 years ago at a campsite in Switzerland. One day for breakfast among the options offered where banana cakes and those single portion Nutella packets (definitely not the healthiest of breakfasts). While I had not intention of slathering the Nutella on the banana cake, I saw another camper do it on the table across from me and thought I would give it a try.
All I can say is that guy was a genius. It was love at first bite!
We all know how versatile banana’s are; they’re great on their own, with peanut butter, with caramel, ice cream, they even work well in a few savoury dishes. But nothing really beats the banana Nutella combo.
Since that day, I’ve experimented with many different version of this cake. Banana bread with Nutella icing, Nutella cake with chunks of banana in it, etc. But I always come back to this recipe where they’re all baked together, swirling around each other, so that every bite is just pure indulgent bliss.
If I really wanted to I could, easily turn this section into an epicurean 50 Shades of Grey, but won’t. I’m just going to leave you alone with this recipe and let you enjoy for your self.
Due to the nature of the Nutella and the yogurt, this cake will always end up looking like it is slightly undercooked. The toothpick will never come out completely clean so make sure to not completely overcook it.
Marbled Banana Nutella Cake
This banana Nutella cake is one of those cakes that should only be done every now and then but it’s so good that you’ll keep making it over and over again.
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time1 hr
- Total Time1 hr 20 min
- 200g butter plus a little extra to line the cake tin
- 150g light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 ripe bananas
- 400g flour
- 150g plain yogurt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 heaping tbsp Nutella
- Handful of crushed hazelnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C/ 150C Fan/ 325F
- Line a 23cm spring form cake tin with butter and parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl whip the butter and light brown sugar until it is smooth and fluffy. Gradually add one egg at time and keep whisking until smooth. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and hazelnuts and combine.
- In another bowl, mash up the bananas and combine with the yogurt. Add the banana yogurt mixture to the the other bowl and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Top the cake batter with the Nutella and swirl it around to create even marbling across the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 45 – 60 mins until a toothpick comes out relatively cleanly (see hints)
- Leave to rest for ten minutes then remove from the cake tin and place on a cooing rack for at least 1 hour before slicing into it.